Part of the excitement of buying a new house has been setting up my new studio. The garage is mine, all mine! And after several months of unpacking boxes and rearranging things to make it all work (more or less), I once again have a functioning print studio. Hooray!
I took several days off work last week to celebrate and catch up on some prints. I haven’t really done anything artistically-speaking for almost a year, and I was itching to get at it. Here’s a video of me pulling a print, as I finish up some editions.
Some notes as to what’s going on here.
1. I listen to loud music when printing. It keeps me from being distracted by random noise.
2. I work with the garage door open because the light is a kazillion times better that way. And I can work that way year-round, since this is California
3. I keep a rag in my back pocket for small clean-ups as I go along.
4. There is a pile of pre-cut paper in a box at the end of the press.
5. The piece of mat board keeps the felt blankets from pushing into the cuts on the blocks, so the edges of the image stay crisp.
6. That’s a giant baseball glove on the back of my t-shirt.
7. I love my press!
8. I’ve switched to using a drying rack instead of lines strung across the ceiling, due to the layout of the space. It’s placed close to the open door to maximize air circulation.
9. The second song is Yell Fire by Michael Franti & Spearhead. The first bit of music? Don’t know – I have a lot of random stuff on my iPad.
I have lots of ideas of how to continue to improve my work space, but for now I’m just happy to be back to work again.
1 thought on “Progress in the Studio”
Glad to see you back & hard at work in the studio! That creativity – on hold for so long – must have been literally bursting out of you. Have fun!!!